Ram Prasad's Most Enjoyed

An Ongoing Compilation of Most Enjoyed
Places, Books, Movies, Experiences, Activities, and Moments

May the whole world enjoy the pleasures that I have enjoyed -- (Thirukkural)

Friday, December 16, 2005

Frank McCourt's Tips On Writing

Towards the end of his very readable book Teacher Man, Frank McCourt has the following to say to his students in Creative Writing class. I thought I would share some excerpts here.

Listen. Are you listening? You’re not listening. I am talking to those of you in class who might be interested in writing.
Every moment of your life, you’re writing. Even in your dreams you’re writing. When you walk the halls in this school you meet various people and you write furiously in your head. There’s the principal. You have to make a decision, a greeting decision. Will you nod? Will you smile? Will you say, Good Morning, Mr. Baumel? or will you simply say, Hi? You see someone you dislike. Furious writing again in your head. Decision to be made. Turn your head away? Stare as you pass? Nod? Hiss a Hi? You see someone you like and you say, Hi, in a warm melting way, a Hi that conjures up a splash of oars, soaring violins, eyes shining in the moonlight. There are so many ways of say Hi. Hiss it, trill it, bark it, sing it, bellow it, laugh it, cough it. A simple stroll in the hallway calls for paragraphs, sentences in your head, decisions galore.
[…]
Dreaming, wishing, planning: it’s all writing, but the difference between you and the man on the street is that you are looking at it, friends, getting it set in your head, realizing the significance of the insignificant, getting it on paper. You might be in the throes of love or grief but you are ruthless in observation. You are your material. You are writers and one thing is certain: no matter what happens on Saturday night, or any other night, you’ll never be bored again. Never. Nothing human is alien to you. Hold you applause and pass up your homework.

3 comments:

Tatiana von Tauber said...

I very much enjoy your blog...
no contact info though, so I'm writing here.

1. May I link you to my blog?
2. Can you fix the margins that are cutting across your work? Such a nice blog and it drives me nuts.
3. Bookless in Baghdad was super! Loved to read your opinions on it. I plan on writing more on the essays too but haven't gotten around to it.
4. Please continue with the blog. I like to peek in and see what you've discovered.
Namaste,
Tatiana von Tauber

Ram said...

Tatiana:

Thanks for your kind words.
1. Of course you may link to it. (Which blogger would say no?)
2. Sorry about the margins. I am not seeing the problem in my PC, any more details?

Thanks for taking the time to leave comments. Much appreciated.

Ram

Anonymous said...

Here's another one for my wishlist! :)

Who links to me? Copyright 2006-2007 Ram Prasad