Ram Prasad's Most Enjoyed

An Ongoing Compilation of Most Enjoyed
Places, Books, Movies, Experiences, Activities, and Moments

May the whole world enjoy the pleasures that I have enjoyed -- (Thirukkural)

Monday, January 30, 2006

Film: War Photographer





"If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough." -- Robert Napa


I posted earlier about the movie "Born Into Brothels" here. In response to that, someone recommened the movie "War Photographer." Coincidentally, around the same time I saw the trailer for War Photographer in another DVD and so I got hold of the movie right away. (I have been focusing mainly on documentaries this year, and I expect that I will posting about more documentaries in the coming months.)

The protagonist, photojournalist James Nachtwey is a very intriguing character, and his inner strength comes through. (You can certainly make the case that this is a "zen" movie, in its own way.) For two years, Christian Frei followed Jim with a micro-cam, recording the photographer traveling all over the world, in Kosovo, in Gaza and in Indonesia.

The adjective I can readily apply to this one is "powerful." War Photographer is a powerful movie, and exactly the kind of movie that all of us must see because it is so easy to forget (or not even know) that such things are going on in the world. It brings home more vividly the events that we skim past in newspapers in our hurry to get to the sports and cartoons sections.

Below are three of Nachtwey's photos that resonated with me the most.

As the vanquished Hutus fled into Tanzania, they had to leave at the border the weapons with which they had committed genocide.
(I found this photo more telling than any of maimed bodies)


Sudan, 1993 - Famine victim in a feeding center. Nachtwey's focus on poverty and famine is as compelling as his work on war and genocide. (The famine and lack of food has withered their bodies to mere skeletons and Jim reminds us that these people are actually in the feeding centers being helped.)

A lot of viewers are sure to like the positive aspects in the tragic story of Sumarno, an Indonesian father, who lost an arm and a leg when a train ran over him. His whole family continues to live in between two actively used railways tracks, with Sumarno is doing his best to take care of his family.

Jim's credo really cause me to pause and reflect. Don't miss his website, and if an exhibition of his work comes to your town, absolutely don't miss it.
Nachtwey's Credo: The worst thing is to feel that as a photographer I am benefiting from someone else's tragedy. This idea haunts me. It is something I have to reckon with every day because I know that if I ever allow genuine compassion to be overtaken by personal ambition I will have sold my soul. (Read Full credo)

Category: , ,

No comments:

Who links to me? Copyright 2006-2007 Ram Prasad