Ram Prasad's Most Enjoyed

An Ongoing Compilation of Most Enjoyed
Places, Books, Movies, Experiences, Activities, and Moments

May the whole world enjoy the pleasures that I have enjoyed -- (Thirukkural)

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Note To Sixth Grade Self

Heard this piece titled "Note to Sixth-grade Self" on our local NPR today, in a program called Re:sound.

While driving to a store, I flipped on the radio, and heard an audio rendition of Julie Orringer's "Note To Sixth Grade Self." I was mesmerized by the story of the social outcast, and her everyday struggles with her mean classmates. Even after reaching the store, I waited in the car in the parking lot until the reading ended.

Upon searching the Web, I learned that it had been published in The Paris Review. I liked the piece so much that I am now thinking of getting her book "How To Breathe Underwater."

If this link works, you can hear it in MP3.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love "Note to 6th grade self." In school we read it, and though many of my peers found it boring, I choses it to do my paper on. The older voice instructing her younger self to become independent of the seduction of popularity rings a note to all those who try too hard to become what they are not.

Anonymous said...

Great article, totally what I was looking for.
Stop by my blog post : easy weightloss

Who links to me? Copyright 2006-2007 Ram Prasad