Ram Prasad's Most Enjoyed

An Ongoing Compilation of Most Enjoyed
Places, Books, Movies, Experiences, Activities, and Moments

May the whole world enjoy the pleasures that I have enjoyed -- (Thirukkural)

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Story-Wallah - Short Fiction from South Asian Writers

Shyam Selvadurai, Editor

I hadn't heard of or read about this anthology before. But I am very glad that the cover caught my eye. It is a very good collection of short stories from nearly two dozen writers.

The writers that you know well are there (Rushdie, Lahiri, Anita Desai, Rohinton Mistry etc.) but there are sure to be writers that you will discover.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to read a book by Bharati Mukherjee, and her wonderful story "The Management of Grief" has convinced me that I should hurry up. A few other stories that I particularly liked -- Winterscape (Desai), Just Between Indians (Ginu Kimani) and Auld Lang Syne (Sandip Roy). There are many more that I could add to the list.

If you hail from a South Asian country, you are sure to discover writers from your neighboring countries. And if you just happen to like reading stories from other cultures, this one is a nice and easy way into South Asia.

I also found this article about Shyam and the book, by Aparita Bhandari in mybindi.com


Story-wallah, Shyam Selvadurai, south asian fiction

No comments:

Who links to me? Copyright 2006-2007 Ram Prasad