Ram Prasad's Most Enjoyed

An Ongoing Compilation of Most Enjoyed
Places, Books, Movies, Experiences, Activities, and Moments

May the whole world enjoy the pleasures that I have enjoyed -- (Thirukkural)

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Loved this Sentence in "Bookless in Baghdad"



I am reading Shashi Tharoor's Bookless in Baghdad, and I will post a couple of times about it as I wend my way through the book. However, this one sentence in the Preface of the BIB hit it right on with the metaphor. I thought it was so good that I had to copy it down to share here.

"To me, books are like the toddy tapper's hatchet, striking through the rough husk that enshrouds our minds to tap into the exhilaration that ferments within."

Links to blogs that have written about BIB: FreedomFries, LazyGeek, Organic Consciousness

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re posting something we read and liked -- from driftglass, http://driftglass.blogspot.com/, in his 9 Dec Moonbatman piece:

We will change and morph and become something else, and it will be painful and frightening and terribly hard work, but to misquote a science fiction writer whose name eludes me at this early hour, it’s raining soup and we don’t yet have enough God damned sense to make buckets.

Ram said...

Thanks, Dus7. You had a link on writing, so don't forget to check out what McCourt says about writing to his students. (Posted later in this blog)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Who links to me? Copyright 2006-2007 Ram Prasad